Thursday, December 18, 2008

book ends. and lists.

with school finished, my to-do list has gone from "everything....and then study" to "....i'll do this later." i decided to update my dear blog because it has been horribly neglected...well, ever since i started writing in it. kind of like an abandoned brain child of sorts. anyways, there is a stack of books next to me that has been growing since this summer, when ancient art history, a painting class, and an exciting job kept me from reading them. this newfound freedom from the chains of academia has inspired me to read as many of them over break as i can. seriously, what else am i going to do (sidenote: my christmas break involves a roadtrip to illinois. that's 24 hours of a corn field panorama. now you understand my situation.) so, here they are, in the order of their stacking:

1. ghandi: an autobiography (purchased this summer with catherine in a really cool book store we found in little five. never even opened it.)
2. the blood of flowers (i have no idea where this came from, but the cover is pretty)
3. atonement (half-way finished.....last year. from what i can remember it was good....)
4. nine parts of desire: the hidden world of islamic women (once again, where did this come from? who cares i'll read it.)
5. things fall apart (i love africa)
6. infidel (this was the first thing my mom threw at me when i got home. something about refugees. awesome, sounds like a page-turner.)
7. the voices of silence (um it's huge.)
8. the namesake (saw the movie last year....wanted to read the book...last year...)
9. interpreter of maladies (by the same author as the namesake. man i must have bought all of these when i actually had money)
10. love in the time of cholera (suggested to me by someone. plus who doesn't love cholera?)
11. stone virgin (this has got to be a cruel joke)
12. great masters of western art (the equivalent of a picture book. plus a lot of scholarly text.)
13. a lesson before dying (another book thrown at me by my mother. damn you book club.)
14. booker t. washington ad the art of self-representation (bieze's book. got it for my birthday last year. haven't made it even half-way through.)
15. the mists of avalon (recommended by courtney. also very large.)

a visual.......


this list will serve as my latest "to do." we'll see what happens.....stay tuned.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ooh, can I read Mists of Avalon when you're not using it?